BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

U Down wit O-O-P?


What a way for the author to redeem himself with chapter five! I do not know what happened with chapter four with all the numbers and things, but I guess he too saw it was not his greatest chapter and reverted back to his old self.

I definitely enjoyed reading this chapter and could relate to it...not because I am a parent, but because I am a child of an obsessive parent...my DAD...and it seems like it is only getting worse over the years. Everything he hears on television, he wants me to do. They could say "studies found that taking five vitamins a day is good for your health," he wants me to take vitamins everyday, or that "drinking 10 cups of eggs will build strong bones and character," and guess what - he wants me to drink the eggs too (:()...I say that now, at the age that I am, where I am not as helpless as a newborn, my dad is doing it more out of love than fear...and I guess I am alright with that....

But aside from my personal life and back to the chapter...What Makes a Perfect Parent? I read some really interesting things...especially about being bad assessors of hazards....i believe the correct term was terrible risk assessors....and they gave an example about 8 year old Molly's parents not wanting her to go to one friend's house because their parent owned a gun but would let her go to another friend's house who had a swimming pool. This became interesting once they gave the statistics:

In a given year, there is one drowning of a child for every 11,000 residential pools in the United States. In a country with 6 million pools, roughly 550 children under the age of ten drown each year. Meanwhile, there is 1 child killed by a gun for every 1 million plus guns. In a country with an estimated 200 million guns, this means that roughly 175 children under ten die each year from guns. The likelihood of death by pool (1 in 11,000) versus death by gun (1 in 1 million-plus) isn't even close:
[Therefore] Molly is more likely to die in a swimming accident than in gun-play, yet her parents would rather her at the friend's house with the swimming pool then with the gun!

TBC...

0 comments: