BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, February 21, 2010

I, Robot Goes to Star Wars


After reading these two excerpts, I'm starting to feel like maybe I'm living a more sheltered life then i think! Okay, so i don't party, dont smoke, dont drink, but geez, I dont go to the movies or watch television either? I mean really does my life revolve around school so much that i dont do simple things like go the the movies once in a while? Out of both essays, I could relate to neither of them! I had no idea what Silverman or Whitney Black was talking about because I haven't seen I, Robot nor have I watched Star Wars, seen the movies, or spent time looking at anything Star Wars related (:().

But there were points that I could relate to in Silverman's excerpt. One was the fact that clumsy elements tend to jump out at me in movies. Especially dialogue that feels staged, or the over exaggeration of action. I can remember watching Tyler Perry's, A Family that Preys, and when actress Sanaa Lathan was slapped, she like fleeewww OVER the counter. All I could think was how corny and unrealistic was that, ain't nobody getting slapped that hard to where they are flying over a counter! I had to turn.

I could also agree with Silverman when he said that "[lately] frigid female professionals are having problems connecting with men [in many roles]. What does this stereotype tell us? That women who are successful in the workplace lead miserable personal lives?" I say yes, I could remember watching Soul Food and the most successful sister, Terry, could not keep a man. First, as the only sister in college, her boyfriend left her and married and had children by her younger sister. Then as a wealthy lawyer, the only one with a career in the family, her husband cheated and slept with her baby cousin! TEAR!

So, I mean, does this mean that to keep a man, I have to be a dropout with babies out of marriage??? So unfair. I think it has something to do with the male ego. The men have to be controlling everything, bringing home the "bacon" all the time, not the women. So that's why I believe that because we sometimes live out lives based on what we see on television and in movies (p.343)[which is a point i agree with as well because i do, especially with Love and Basketball], Hollywood, especially the men in Hollywood is probably hoping that by having all the successful women portrayed as being insufficient with men, women would dumb themselves down and stop being so successful in the real world.

In my opinion LOVE DONT PAY THE BILLS, so im NOT falling for it.

0 comments: