BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 21, 2010

students cheat "TEACHERS CHEAT" numbers don't


First and foremost I must say that I absolutely enjoyed this reading. Not only was it informative but it was interesting as well. The read was so interesting, that I read all 50 pages non-stop. Not once did I have to put the book down to get a cup of juice, nor did I become tired and in desperate need of a 20 minute nap [even after taking a Benadryl – and those usually knock me out]!

Furthermore, it was interesting how the economist study at the daycare [charging $3 for late child pick - up] proved how incentives could provoke individuals to do the WRONG thing. But what I enjoyed most about this reading was the study on the school teachers in Chicago. My first reaction was if the cheating was happening in Chicago, there’s no telling where else it was taking place. I was also interested in if this form of teacher cheating was still taking place today.

I think Bush signing “No Child Left Behind” [the reason for the teachers beginning to cheat in the first place, when test scores became important to their salary and school funding] was the most hurtful gesture he could have made in a child’s education. All “No Child Left Behind” is doing is pushing children through school, giving them promotions to higher grades when clearly they are not ready for the next level. From my own [second hand] experience I know people who are not ready to be in grades that they are in yet the school system continues to push them forward. I mean now, any and everybody can breeze through school, no matter how much, or little, effort they put in [especially in high school]. To me going to high school now is like elementary school, even Pre-School, all over again. I guess this is why now, in this day and age, a high school diploma is no longer able to get you a decent paying job with at least minimum wage pay (:/). But what happens to these students when it is time to go to college because, in my opinion, COLLEGE IS NO BREEZE! And if these students, that are just simply getting pushed along, believe that college is going to be like their previous school days, they are in for a very, very RUDE awakening!

I wish there was something that could be done about this, some way to erase this “No Child Left Behind” act, before more children are affected, like our children, or our children’s children. Because soon, even one college degree will not be enough. One might need two or three degrees to get, at least, a minimum wage paying job. And by keeping this act that Bushed signed, we are only hurting ourselves for this is absolutely no way to prepare our future for the real world that is yet to come!

0 comments: